Efficiency meets compliance for employers with a remote workforce.
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) announced an important update that went into effect on August 1, 2023, regarding remote I-9 verification. Employers must utilize Form I-9 to verify and authorize the identity and employment of all employees. With the announcement of the new Form I-9 version comes some changes and improvements.
We’ve broken down the updates into some helpful highlights:
- The form is now only one page long making it easier for employers and employees alike
- E-Verify participants can now remotely complete verification via live video
- Check the box “Additional information” on the new 2023 I-9 or write “Alternative Procedure” on the 2019 form
- Retain all copies of I9 verification documents. Remember that you must consistently collect documents for all employees and keep I-9 documents separate from personnel records
- Submit Case in E-Verify
- Employers may begin using the new edition beginning Aug. 1, 2023, but may continue to use the 2019 version of the form through Oct. 31, 2023. Beginning Nov. 1, 2023, only the new Form I‑9 dated ”08/01/2023” may be used. The version date can be found at the lower left corner of the form.
- You can click here to find a helpful chart from the USCIS as you navigate through the new changes
Did you know that using E-Verify is free, and some states require E-Verify use? If you don’t use E-Verify, it may be time to re-evaluate its use based on your business needs.
Many HRIS products sync with the E-Verify platform streamlining the I-9 process. Please be sure to check with your provider, as your HRIS system may not have the 8/1/23 form yet. Employers have until 10/31/23 to update.
If you have any lingering questions or feel you may need further assistance in this department, HumCap HR is at your service. We’re here to support you every step of the way! We’re here to help you respond and adapt to changes that occur in the workforce daily. Reviewing your I-9 practice puts you one step closer to ensuring compliance.
Contact HumCap HR today to let us know how we can help you and your business!